Muffins, they’re pretty much the perfect food! They’re sweet, they’re tangy, they’re cake-like. You can eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert and not feel guilty about it.
As a kid I adored muffins! I just couldn’t get enough of them! As this trickled into adulthood and when I became vegan, I just knew I couldn’t leave muffins in my past. My all-time favorite muffins were lemon poppy seed!
They’re sweet, tangy, and oh so delicious! I knew I had to bring you a delicious muffin recipe that you could share with your family so naturally, today I’m giving you a delicious, simple and tangy lemon poppy seed muffin that you are going to love!! And of course, it’s vegan!
They’re perfect for family gatherings, holidays or even just a night at home if you don’t feel like sharing them!
VEGAN LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
Prep Time: l Cook Time: l Serving:
10 minutes l 15-20 minutes l Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients: *for the muffins*
- Three lemons or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup vanilla or plain coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Flax eggs or egg replacer
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the muffin tin or add vegan butter to tin.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of poppy seeds, 1 tsp of baking soda and 2 tsp of baking powder.
3. In a small separate bowl make your flax egg. To make two flax eggs, combine 2 tbsp of flax and six tbsp of water. Read the directions on the pack if you are using a vegan egg replacer like bob’s red mill.
4. In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, lemon zest, one lemon or a tablespoon of lemon juice and the two flax eggs. *you can omit the extra lemons/lemon juice but we liked the added tanginess it added to the muffins!
5. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix well until completely combined.
6. Fill the muffin tin about 3/4 of the way up and cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes checking with a toothpick during baking.
7. Once the muffins are baked, let them cool before adding the glaze. To make the glaze, combine 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of powdered sugar. Of course, make this glaze to your preferred taste.
This recipe was so delicious it was eaten within two days!! If you make this recipe, tell us! And don’t forget to share the love and share with your friends and family!