Changing your life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
You came to this post because you want to learn how to change your life.
And I’ve got good news for you.
It’s really simple to change your life.
You just have to be willing to put in the work, throw away your excuses and buckle up for a wild ride.
If you’re ready to do that, here are the essential life-changing habits or wildly happy people.
disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links and as an Amazon associate, I may make a small commission if you choose to use my link to purchase a product and if you do I appreciate you.
How to Change your Life
1. Get Very Clear on What You Want to Change
Okay, so you want to change your life.
What about your life do you want to change?
Your finances? Your love life? Your mindset? Your weight? Your health?
While yes, saying, “I want to change my life” is a step in the right direction, those words are empty until you decide what it is you want to change.
You may be wondering…but how do I figure out which areas of my life I want to change?
This is something I learned from Chalene Johnson and she uses this practice in her push journals.
Start by breaking down your life into bite-sized chunks and look at the 7 main areas of your life. Score them from 1-10 (1 being the worst possible they can be & 10 being they need no improvement):
1. Physical Health: Your physical body. How does it feel? Are you achy when you get up in the morning? Are you out of breath walking up the stairs? Do you genuinely feel your best?
2. Emotional/Mental health: How does your mind feel? Is it always racing making it hard to sleep at night? Do you worry often? Do you feel stuck in your own head? Do you wish you would meditate more? Do you want to learn more? Do you find yourself reacting to the world? Do you get angry a lot? Could you be happier?
3. Spirituality: This category will mean something different to everyone are you’re happy with your spirituality such as religious, not religious, your beliefs, Law of Attraction/manifestation? Do you wish you were more spiritual?
4. Love/Relationships: For this, it’s love in your life in general whether this means a spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend or friends and family. Look at the support systems in your life and the love you surround yourself with. Do you have enough people loving you and supporting you? If you’d like more, rate it accordingly.
5. Finance: Do you feel secure with how much money you make? If something happened and you needed to spend extra money would that be okay? Be really honest here this can be a tough category to rate.
6. Career/Purpose: Are you happy with where you are at? Do you feel you are giving the most you can? Do you jump out of bed in the morning excited? Do you fall asleep knowing you’re doing something that makes you feel good?
7. Environment: The way I look at environment is where you physically live as well as who you surround yourself with. If you’re happy with where you live, you feel safe, you have all your needs met and you have positive and fun people to hang out with, rate it higher, if not, rate it lower.
The areas that scored the lowest are the areas in your life that you want to change.
And if that’s all areas of your life, start with the area that will make the biggest difference.
Hint, hint, your life changes from the inside out.
2. Create a Vision Board
Remember as a kid staring out the window daydreaming about life and stuff.
Children are fantastic daydreamers.
They can see images of how they want their life to be, what they want to do when they grow up, there are no limits.
But as adults, we lose that ability because people tell us to.
Here’s the kicker, your brain LOVES pictures and actually uses pictures and the way you feel about them to bring those experiences into your life.
This is basically the concept of the Law of Attraction.
A vision board is simply a board, digital or physical that has images of all the things you want to create in your life.
You put this board somewhere you’ll see it every day.
Alright, so you’re probably wondering does a vision board even work or like what is this so-called “magic”?
I used a vision board to manifest my first book deal, money-making opportunities, among many other things.
But don’t just take my word for it.
Create your own vision board and see what you can manifest. Learn how to create your own digital vision board and how to make it really effective by reading this post.
3. Decide your Desire to Change is Bigger than your Excuses
Change is terrifying for the ego.
The ego mind is the part of the brain that keeps your heart pumping and you out of danger.
And what’s more comfortable than your soft and cushy comfort zone?
The second you decide to make changes in your life, your ego will stand up in its chair, like someone yelling at a bad play during a football game and begin screaming about all the reasons why you shouldn’t try.
Here are just a few of the many excuses your ego will lob at you:
- I’m too busy.
- It’s never worked before.
- People will probably just laugh at me.
- What if I lose all my friends?
- But what if I want to go out to eat and I can’t have something?? I don’t want to be left out.
- Change is just too hard.
- It’s not going to work, it’s a waste of your time.
- You’re too dumb to learn something new.
- You don’t have enough money to start a new business.
- People on the internet are mean.
- I don’t have a support system.
I could go on but we’ll just stop right there.
This is simply the ego yelling and screaming out of fear.
Because it truly believes you are putting yourself in mortal danger by walking instead of watching Tv, doing that Facebook Live about your new business or meeting a someone you’re attracted to for a lunch date.
These fears will always come up.
But it’s up to you to decide right here and now that your desire to change is bigger than your fear.
This is such an important topic there are literally a plethora of books about it, but here’s one that you need to read, Do it Scared by Ruth Soukup.
4. Call Out your Own BS
Our lives are made up of thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
These thoughts, beliefs, and actions are given to us based on the people that raised us and their own thoughts, beliefs and actions.
And the moment you decide to change your life is the moment you’re going to have to change the way you think, what you believe and how you act.
I’m not saying your entire personality has to change.
But think about it.
You’re at point A and you want to get to point B.
Certain thoughts, beliefs, and actions got you there.
So if you want to get to point B, you’re going to have to change those thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
This means you’re going to be calling out your BS a lot.
As soon as you recognize old behaviors or thoughts or beliefs popping up (and they will), it’s up to you to change them and replace them with your new thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
You create a new one.
When you feel yourself falling back into old habits, simply ask yourself, does this behavior, thought or action support my goals?
If no, then do something that does.
Changing your life doesn’t have to be complicated, you just have to be willing to do it.
5. Practice Trusting your Higher Self Over your Ego
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
So now I’m saying there are two voices in your head controlling what you think and do?
Yes, for simplicity sake.
The ego is the part of the mind that comes from fear, because it wants to keep you alive and what it doesn’t know it’s afraid of.
Your higher self is the voice that comes from your heart.
It’s basically your intuition.
Which comes from a place of love and will always send you in the right direction.
And your intuition knows and understands that change is hard and scary but also knows that on the other side of that fear is the life you’ve wanted all along.
The easiest way to start trusting your higher self and make that voice stronger is to simply say yes to it.
Do what it tells you to do.
Feel the fear and do it anyway.
The more you do this and see a positive outcome, the more you will begin to trust that voice over the scared ego voice.
6. Use the “F” Word…a Lot
I’m all for cursing when I stub my big toe or go hurtling down the stairs on a mountain bike.
But that’s not the “f” word I’m talking about.
I’m talking about that good, old fashioned forgiveness.
Forgiveness is kind of a scary word.
I mean who really wants to forgive Stacy’s mom for stealing their boyfriend just because she had it goin’ on?
But you see, forgiveness doesn’t really have anything to do with anyone but you.
Sure, you can hold onto that grudge like a fudge brownie covered in caramel, but it usually just ends up leaving a big sticky mess behind with you covered in caramel and the other person completely unaffected.
Forgiveness allows you to forgive yourself for your past, your present and your future.
And it allows you to let go of the people that did you wrong.
Because what they did or didn’t do, really doesn’t matter.
And by releasing their hold on your mind, it makes more room for all the positive, amazing, life-changing thoughts to come in.
Seriously, just forgive and let go.
7. Become a Teachers Pet
One of the best possible ways to change your life is to be the best student you can possibly be.
You don’t know, what you don’t know.
So learn about it.
It’s 2019, the world is literally a walking Google with books, podcasts, youtube videos galore.
That being said, resources are a dime a dozen.
And just learning something doesn’t do you or the person that created the resource any good if you don’t act on it.
Implementation is one of the best ways to change your life.
Learn something new, act on it.
And so on.
Avoid the, “I already know that” slump.
Chances are, if you already knew something, that area of your life would already be how you want it to be.
Be open to learning and continue to learn as much as you can, forever.
All that being said, the personal development gene is filled to the brim with resources and is constantly overflowing, so where do you begin?
I have an entire list of my favorite personal development/life-changing books but the two I recommend are by one author.
I have read these books three times and listened to them on audiobook twice.
They’re that good.
Run to your local Amazon.com and buy them.
8. Stop Reacting & Be The Change
Want other people to control your life?
Be in a constant state of reaction to them.
Want to control your own life?
Stop trying to change others and stop reacting to them.
Other people will always do something we don’t like or agree with but it’s up to you if you want to let what they do bother you or not.
You get to decide if they control your emotions or if you do.
Simply put, be the change that you want to see in the world, because you’ll a whole heck of a lot more done and have a whole heck of a lot more fun that way.
Want to change your life? Start from the Inside Out.
Changing your life starts with you and only you.
Decide on making this a permanent change, bulldoze over every limiting belief and fear that’s holding you back.
And dig your feet into the ground with nothing else on your mind than being the best possible you, you can be.